Monday, November 16, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my blog.
My name is Khen Ofek and I live in Israel. I am currently holding the position of SW Architect in the Israeli branch of Applied Materials. I have 14 years of experience as a SW professional and manager in the semiconductor equipment industry.

The two main subjects of this blog will be technology and philosophy.
As you probably heard, Cloud Computing is the hottest topic nowadays in computing technology. The "Cloud" in the name of my blog indicates that my interest in technology centers mainly on computing technology. But, I don't want to stay in the bounds of traditional Cloud Technology (if there is such a thing). I would like to stretch the idea of the Cloud to its limit, and of course, the sky is the limit.

In the philosophical part I am mainly interested in philosophy of science.
The fusion of these two subjects will lead to posts that deal with the philosophy of computing and technology. I would also like to explore the idea of taking some Cloud Computing themes and applying them to philosophy and especially to the philosophy of science.
There are many themes in this fusion. A prominent one is dealing with SW and system architecture. In the layer of system architecture, one is trying to reason in a highly abstract manner. Doing system architecture is actually practicing philosophy in the realm of technology.

Another important theme of this fusion is the subject of Freedom. The fascinating phenomena of Open Source and Free Software has always intrigued me. I really believe that the way to produce high quality SW infrastructure is to go by the way of Free Software.
A related and not less important element is Open Standards. This is also a fascinating world of cooperation and competition that is very valuable for human kind.

My mother's tongue is Hebrew, but I decided to write this blog in English since I hope to interact with international audience. The two main subjects of this blog are truly international and I feel I will miss too many people if I will write in Hebrew. So, you will have to excuse my imperfect English.
Obviously, I should state the regular disclaimer, that all things that I write in the blog are my own opinions and I am not representing anything or anyone else.
This blog will be licensed under the "Creative Commons - Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike" license. This license connects nicely with the ideas of Freedom and Free Software.

I hope to see you as my regular readers and commenters.
Khen Ofek

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Cloud Computing Blog by Khen Ofek is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Israel License.